Monday 3 April 2017

Everyone wants those cute baby photos! But why do Mum's hate having their photos taken? Essex maternity and newborn photographer.

Kings Hill, Great Cornard, Sudbury CO10 0EH, UK
I see so many different Mum's over the years photographing their precious little newborn babies. There doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason over why some Mum's have their photo taken and some can't stand to look at themselves in family photos. We've all recently seen the images of Beyonce proudly showing off her bump, and looking stunning - and I think that's where some of the answers lay - not that it's Beyonce's fault I might add. But I do think we are inundated by media images of celebrities that have access to the best make up, can afford maybe a gym or personal trainer, maybe even have a chef to rustle them up healthy options. Which can be very different to a Mum of two catering to varying tastes and running a home, maybe working and trying to be wonderwoman. Some Mum's come to the studio and love being in photos, but all too often they hate themselves. I asked some questions on my Facebook page the other day, and even those that would fit into the media perfection image to me. Rated themselves as fat, horrible smiles, and so many other things to not be in a photo, and that makes me sad. I've been guilty of the same things, I am decidedly not a perfect size now. But I can remember fitting in size 12 jeans the day after I gave birth to my first child. And being disgusted at myself. I spent years of not being pictured with my children. And I'm now decidedly bigger. Sadly there are years of my children missing out on me in photos. And what there are where I used to pick myself apart, I now look back and think actually I looked pretty amazing. You can't go back and redo those memories. I often have uncomfortable family members and you can see just how uncomfortable they feel, I personally don't think it's natural to see a camera and pull that perfect pout and pose that makes us look amazing. So I tend to speak to people all the times I shoot, and will tell them to move themselves into position, move that chin down just a little and a little tilt of the head, until someone is relaxed. 
Ultimately though, god forbid if something ever happened to you, having a collection of memories for your child to treasure is so important. My own Mum died of cancer when I was 23, she meticulously destroyed every single photo from my childhood. Even photos of my brother and I and it's so so sad to know there are only about 5 photos in existence for me to pass onto my children and they are pictures that my Aunt that lived many miles away took. Do I care I had a goofy smile. Or a bad haircut? Nope, they are the most treasured mementos I have. And a Mum and her child bond is incredible. Your child isn't going to see those extra few pounds, maybe that muffin top that didn't use to be there. But what they will see is that glow, that connection, maybe tired eyes from sleepless nights, but that's all part of what makes you family. I can remember my son telling me about my crinkles on my eyes. And I probably was horrified at the time, but as I've become older I realise how very lucky I am, that I have the best smile lines in the World as I'm so so happy. I may not have pots of money, we may not have holidays as I tend to plow everything back into my business, but I have the most beautiful children that are happy and settled and sweet and kind. And I know if passed tomorrow, I wouldn't have any regrets. Get in those pictures, I guarantee you, in 20 years you will look back and smile instead of ripping yourself apart. 


Post a Comment

© LIZ WOOD PHOTOGRAPHY. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.